Dental bridges are a fixed solution to replace a single or multiple missing teeth.
There are three categories of bridges;
- Conventional bridges
- Metal winged Maryland bridges
- Ceramic winged Maryland bridges
Bridges are attached to a natural tooth (known as the abutment) and are fixed into place.
The main advantages of bridges are;
- Fixed solution
- Good cosmetic result
- Feel natural
- Less costly than implants
The main disadvantages are;
- May require some grinding of the adutment tooth, or teeth
- Rely on the integrity and strenght of the abutment tooth, or teeth
- If a large gap is present, they may not be possible